"The UK government is rounding on protesters ahead of this summer's Olympics, issuing the first court order to ban an Occupy activist from the event. The unprecedented security measures for the Games have been branded as over-the-top," reports RT.
One such banning order was handed out to 29 year-old Simon Moore, who committed the egregious act of protesting against a practice basketball court being built near the Olympic park in East London. He faces a 5-year jail sentence if he ventures "within 100 yards of Olympic venues, homes of participants, officials or spectators and the route of the Olympic torch."
"I think it's insane. I think it shows the prevailing state of consciousness in our governments and the world, which is one of fear – fear and control," Moore told RT's Laura Smith.
In rounding up potential troublemakers ahead of the games, the British government is drawing inspiration from none other than Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.
In an effort to "clean up" Berlin before the 1936 Olympics, the German Ministry of Interior authorized the chief of the Berlin Police to arrest all undesirables – mainly Gypsies – prior to the Games and have them slung in detention camps. Political enemies were also incarcerated in the camps.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades