Police in Los Angeles have killed a motorist who was fleeing after a police chase on U.S. 10 in the San Fernando Valley. Eight cops fired more than 90 rounds at 19-year old Abdul Arian as he fled police after they rammed his car. The teenager was unarmed.
According to an LAPD narrative, Arian said he had a gun. Police did not recover a gun from the scene, the LA Times reports today. A relative told the newspaper the youth was afraid of guns, although his Facebook page suggests he had visited a firing range.
Arian's family said he had been a part of the LAPD Explorer academy. Police confirmed he was enrolled in the academy, but said he was removed before graduation for unspecified disciplinary reasons.
The over-reaction by police followed an incident on Thursday when gunfire erupted as authorities tried to serve an eviction notice at an apartment complex in Modesto, California. A Stanislaus County sheriff's deputy and a "civilian" were killed in the incident. FBI and SWAT teams had surrounded the building.
Authorities said the suspect was in his mid-40s. He may have had military training.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades