Due to the recent developments in Iran and the westernized world, I would like to talk a little about sanctions. There are several kinds of sanctions:
- Diplomatic Sanctions: the reduction or removal of diplomatic ties, such as embassies.
- Economic Sanctions: typically a ban on trade, with certain exceptions (such as food and medicine)
- Military Sanctions: military intervention
- Sport Sanctions:preventing a country's people and teams from competing in international events
Lets go more in-depth.
- Diplomatic Sanctions are a way of showing ones disapproval to another country/nation due to: Actions it has taken / Decisions it has made.
- They usually do not include economic and military use.
- Some examples: limitations/cancelling governmental visits, withdrawing diplomatic relations with staff.
- More broad use: imposing duties on imports, blocking export of certain goods, or even a full naval blockage (ex: Cuba, Iraq).
- This is whats happening in Iran right now.
- Rage from targeted military strikes to degrading a nations conventional capabilities.
- Arms embargo: cutting off supplies of arms
- Sport sanctions go in deeper than you think. They crush morale of the country.
- Used as psychological warfare
So considering the sanctions Iran is being put through right now, take a moment to think about what they're facing.